I was forced to put my beloved cockapoo pup to sleep after a visit to the dog salon left him with a collapsed intestine

A DOG owner has been heartbroken as his beloved pup had to be put to sleep after a visit to a grooming salon went wrong.

Mother-of-one Lisa O’Neill, 37, is still mourning the death of her eight-month-old cockapoo Harry, who suffered a collapsed gut shortly after being placed in a “cage of drying” at a groomer.

4

Harry must have been asleep after suffering a collapsed gut1 credit
Lisa has now started a petition calling on the Scottish government to act to regulate dog groomers

4

Lisa has now started a petition calling on the Scottish government to act to regulate dog groomers1 credit

After being bought in October 2020 for £2,350, Harry collapsed after being taken to an award-winning grooming salon in May 2021, where he was washed and then placed in a ‘drying cage’.

It was picked up from the groomers, which Lisa declined to name.

The next day he was taken to Vets Now Hospital, Glasgow, and he was put to sleep on May 8.

Speaking to the Mirror, Lisa said: ‘I did some research and the groomer I took him to had 30 years experience, had won awards so I had absolutely no qualms about the take there.

“When I got him he looked good, he smelled good, he desperately needed a drink but I thought it was quite natural after drying off. So we left and I was pretty happy to trust them.

“In May it was the same scenario – but about an hour after they took Harry I got a phone call saying he had collapsed while he was drying out.

“At this point I still had no idea of ​​a drying cage. It wasn’t until she told the vet what had happened that he came back to tell me he had had a heatstroke and that these dryers are death traps.

“Turns out it had been placed in a heated drying box and the timer was set for 30 minutes.”

A drying cage or drying box is a cabinet with closed sides and glass fronts into which heated air is blown to dry dogs. Groomers will generally use this method of drying because it is effective, but it can be dangerous when used incorrectly.

Police officer Lisa, from Kilmarnock, East Ayrshire, is campaigning for dog groomers to be regulated, which animal welfare chiefs agree needs to be done.

The Scottish Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (SSPCA) said Harry’s death was not clinically attributable to groomers, but backed calls for regulation.

“Locked in a Box”

The dog’s owner continued: ‘Being an excitable pup he didn’t like being locked up anywhere so being locked in a drying box he would have jumped all the time.

“He was taken to Vets Now in Glasgow to try to treat him, but unfortunately the complication resulting from the heat stroke prevented his blood from clotting.

“Because of that, they couldn’t open it – it would just have bled on the table.

“I had to go sit with him while they put him to sleep. He had suffered terribly before falling asleep.

“The specialist said that everything he had been through, the heat stroke and the stress had caused intussusception – where the intestines go in on themselves.

“I can discuss it now without breaking down, but it took a while for it to happen. A dog is a member of the family.”

She has now started a petition calling on the Scottish government to take action to regulate dog groomers, which has garnered nearly 3,000 signatures.

Lisa said: ‘It’s amazing how many dog ​​owners know nothing about drying boxes, they hand over their dog and have no idea if they’re boxed in or not.

“Scottish ministers have the power to regulate the industry, they just haven’t done it yet.

“I contacted the SSPCA at the time and the inspector who went to investigate the groomer hadn’t even heard of dryer boxes.

“The box was in working order, apparently it’s one of the best in the business, it was £2,000, it was not faulty so there was nothing the SSPCA could do.”

What is a drying cage?

A drying cage or drying box is a cabinet with closed sides and glass fronts into which heated air is blown to dry dogs.

Groomers will generally use this method of drying because it is effective, but it can be dangerous when used incorrectly.

Some groomers may place pedestal dryers too close to the cage, which can overheat the air and lead to discomfort, skin irritation and overheating in the animal.

Appliances can also malfunction, which can mean that too much hot air is being pumped into the cage for a long time.

Scottish SPCA Chief Inspector Laura McIntyre said: ‘In May 2021 we investigated the heartbreaking death of a dog when he fell ill at a groomer shortly after being crated of drying.

“The dog was taken to a private vet where his condition unfortunately deteriorated and he was eventually put to sleep.

“We arranged an autopsy, which revealed that the dog did not die of heatstroke. A follow-up check was also carried out by a Scottish SPCA vet.

“Given the clinical view of the veterinary experts was that the cause of death was not heat stroke or any other issue attributable to treatment in the groomers, the inquest was closed.”

Despite the discovery, Laura said the organization supports calls for stricter regulation in the grooming industry.

“Dogs should be under constant supervision while at a groomer. This can be a stressful situation for some dogs and every step should be taken to ensure they are safe and comfortable at all times. “, she added.

“The rapid increase in the number of dog owners in Scotland has led to a boom in businesses such as groomers. While many are reliable, well trained and concerned about the welfare of the dogs they groom, the Scottish SPCA supports a greater industry regulation.

“Owners should do their research, check reviews, and try to use a reputable groomer at all times.”

He had suffered terribly before falling asleep.

Lisa O’Neill

A Scottish Government spokesperson said: “We are committed to ensuring high standards of animal welfare for pets in Scotland.

“It is an offense for people in charge of animals to cause them unnecessary suffering and we recently increased the maximum penalties available to five years imprisonment and an unlimited fine.

“We have introduced a new framework for licensing certain activities involving animals, and we will consult on whether to extend this to additional activities, potentially including dog grooming businesses.

“We plan to bring forward consultations in this area after allowing a period of familiarization with the recent license changes, so that the practical experiences of local authorities in implementing these can be taken into account in any proposal. future.

“We encourage anyone with information about animal abuse to bring it to the attention of Police Scotland, their local authorities or the Scottish SPCA.”

Lisa is still mourning the death of her eight-month-old cockapoo

4

Lisa is still mourning the death of her eight-month-old cockapoo1 credit
The SSPCA said Harry's death was not clinically attributable to groomers, but backed calls for regulation

4

The SSPCA said Harry’s death was not clinically attributable to groomers, but backed calls for regulation1 credit

Comments are closed.