Salt Poisoning in Dogs: Symptoms, Causes and Treatments
Salt poisoning in dogs, also called hypernatremia, is a condition that occurs when a dog ingests too much sodium or suffers from dehydration.
It can cause a very wide range of symptoms depending on the amount of sodium consumed. In extreme cases, it can be fatal if not treated quickly enough.
If you see the signs that your dog has consumed too much salt or is suffering from poisoning, then you need to go to a veterinarian for proper diagnosis and advice. Here’s what you need to know about the symptoms, causes, and treatments for salt poisoning in dogs.
Symptoms of Salt Poisoning in Dogs
Salt poisoning in dogs can cause a wide range of symptoms, depending on both the amount of sodium in the blood and the size of the dog.
Some of the more common symptoms include:
- Drink a lot more water than usual
- Act lethargic
- Seeming disoriented
- Loss of appetite
Causes of Salt Poisoning in Dogs
The cause of salt poisoning in dogs is most often excessive sodium intake or dehydration.
Some of the most common ways a dog can consume too much sodium include ingesting:
- Human foods high in sodium, especially soy sauce and table salt
- frozen water
- modeling clay
- Rock salt or de-icing
- Ocean or salt water
Additionally, certain underlying medical conditions, including diabetes and kidney disease, can increase a dog’s risk of salt poisoning.
If you are concerned that your dog is suffering from salt poisoning, your veterinarian will want to perform a complete physical exam. This will include comprehensive blood and urine tests.
Your veterinarian will also ask about your dog’s full medical history and any recent events or circumstances that may have contributed to poisoning, such as eating a food or substance high in sodium.
When it comes to treatment, fluid therapy is often the first step. This is how your vet can regulate your dog’s electrolyte and sodium levels back to normal. Additionally, any underlying causes or conditions that could be causing the poisoning will need to be addressed.
While your dog is recuperating at home, it’s best to make sure he always has plenty of fresh water available. It’s also important to avoid certain dog treats that may contain too much sodium.
Your veterinarian can advise you on specific dietary changes that may be needed while your dog recovers at home.
Has your dog ever suffered from salt poisoning? How did your vet help your dog recover? Let us know in the comments section below.