Smart stove warns homeowners of a fire


COURTDALE, ALZERNE COUNTY (WBRE / WYOU) – We know that new technologies save lives.

But there’s one example you probably never would have thought of: a stove. It worked so well that five golden retrievers were able to escape a house fire.

Donna Zomerfeld has lived in her Courtdale home for 40 years. She recently bought a new high-tech stove that can be controlled remotely through an app. She didn’t know how important this stove would become.

Zomerfeld was at work Tuesday night when she received a frantic call from her granddaughter.

“She said, ‘You have to go home immediately, the house is on fire!’ Zomerfeld said.

Her granddaughter received alerts on her phone from the smart stove in Zomerfeld’s kitchen, saying something was wrong with the device. They called for help and Zomerfeld ran to her home where her beloved Golden Retrievers and cats were trapped inside.

“I knew my granddaughter was safe because she was out. That was my main concern, to go home and try to save them if I could, in any way I could, ”Zomerfeld said.

By the time she got home, the neighbors had already broken down her door and put four of the dogs to safety. The fifth dog, who was in his crate, was found and rescued after firefighters began to put out the fire. Her cats also escaped the fire.

“I was just ecstatic, it was just a miracle that one of them really survived. The blind man is all shredded and apparently they feel like it was the dogs trying to get out because that they knew something was wrong, ”Zomerfeld said.

The fire started in the kitchen and spread to the second floor. Somehow, one of the knobs on Samsung’s smart electric stove went ‘high’. The damage to her home is severe, but her family and precious animals are safe. Zomerfeld says she is grateful for the technology and its kind neighbors.

“You can replace material things, you cannot replace life or the life of pets. And that’s what really mattered, ”Zomerfeld said.

Zomerfeld and the dogs stay with relatives until the house is repaired.


Comments are closed.